Objective of position
The Tug Master presides over the crew of his ship. In this role, you are responsible for adequate management of the tug and its crew, ensuring safe and optimal towage services, both in port and at sea, to contribute to the commercial and operational goals of the company.
The size of the crew is dependent on the region to be navigated, and the nature of the voyage. You represent the shipping company and its policy, and conducts effectively the services of Towage in our UK ports.
The Tug Master manages, executes, and monitors the maintenance of the vessel, ensuring that the vessel is in compliance with Class, Flag State, HSE-Q, and other compulsory regulations & operational requirements in a safe, effective and cost-efficient manner. Furthermore, you will ensure that spare parts, consumables, and inspections are planned and ordered on time.
The Tug Master reports hierarchical to the Operations Manager in the area and functional to the local Superintendent.
- Responsible for the safe navigation, manoeuvring and mooring of the tug
- Ensure towing services are performed safe and efficiently
- Coach, train, evaluate and guide the tug crew and ensure tasks and duties are understood
- Manage the tug in such a way that it is maintained well, and a pleasant work environment is created
- Build and maintain relationships with clients, pilots, port authorities and other third parties, communicate effectively to ensure our client is considered a trustworthy and reliable service provider
- Ensure accurate ship administration (planned maintenance system) and (monthly) reporting
- Ensure the tug and its operations comply with company, flag state and legal requirements and all necessary certificates are up to date and complete
- Report unsafe situations and actions to contribute to increased safety and awareness
- Perform safety drills on a regular basis
What type of applicant are we looking for?
- Education/certificates: Nautical school
- Company mandatory training
- Minimum 2-3 years of experience working on a tug, local port knowledge
- Certificate Master, in line with the designated vessel and its operational area
- Valid medical and training certificates, in compliance with flag state requirements
- Fluent in English