About the role
Our client has an exciting opportunity to join an exciting, expanding accountancy practice in their payroll team.
Are you a motivated payroll administrator, looking for your next step, working within a progressive, flexible company, that is one of the region’s largest independent accounting firms?
This opportunity would be based within the busy payroll team in Darlington. Their payroll team offers full payroll services including auto-enrolment to 250 clients across the Northeast, producing around 4000 payslips per month. The team consists of 8 payroll professionals.
Your day-to-day responsibilities will include:
- Process weekly, fortnightly and monthly payrolls in a timely and accurately manner
- Undertake manual calculations of SSP, SMP, SPP and check against the payroll software and complete any forms for the DWP if appropriate
- Check information provided by clients and if necessary, raise any queries with clients
- Run various reports from the payroll system for managers to review and rerun if appropriate
- Produce packs of reports and place in Virtual Cabinet ready for publishing
- Keep the work schedule up to date
- Once confirmation is received from the client, finalise the payroll and issue remaining reports and online payslips
- Pass any banking onto managers for BACS submission
- Upload pension details to the relevant pension provider to meet the appropriate deadlines
- Manage the payroll data inbox daily including logging incoming payroll changes and liaising with clients to resolve queries and respond to requests
- Produce year end reports and issue P60s
- Ensure that all payroll activities meet legislative and statutory requirements
- Have high-volume payroll experience gained in a payroll bureau
- Have working knowledge of payroll legislation
- Exceptional organisational skills
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills and be confident speaking to clients and colleagues face to face, over the telephone and by email
- The ability to check work for accuracy and have good attention to detail
- Be able to demonstrate your initiative to solve problems
- Be flexible and proactive in managing multiple priorities
- Excellent IT skills, including working knowledge of Outlook, Word and Excel
- Be able to work individually and as part of a team.
It would be desirable if you had some knowledge of payroll software packages such as Sage, along with payroll experience gained in an accountancy practice. Knowledge of auto-enrolment and understanding the workings of Directors NIC would also be beneficial.
Why our client?
Over the past few years, our client have seen significant growth and now have 13 partners. They work with a portfolio of some of the most innovative and exciting clients across their region, deliver excellent client service and act with integrity in all their interactions. We are progressive in the technology they use to enhance efficiencies and client delivery. They value their people and work together to maintain a strong working culture. They are focussed on improving their responsible business practices and connecting with their communities.
They are committed to supporting work-life balance so offer a variety of flexible working options including hybrid working, nine-day fortnight, part-time working and flexible start and finish times.
They want to build a more representative and inclusive workplace, ensuring all colleagues are treated fairly, with respect and have the opportunity to reach their full potential.
They offer a fantastic range of benefits including:
- 22 days holiday plus bank holidays and 1 day for your birthday
- salary sacrifice contributory pension scheme
- buy additional holidays through a salary sacrifice scheme
- Health and wellbeing support including an employee assistance programme, mental health first aiders, Kaido and HBSC financial webinars
- Perkbox discounts platform
- discounted health care
- social events
- opportunities for learning and development and fully paid qualifications
- paid professional subscriptions
- eye tests and flu jabs
- volunteering day and organised charitable events