The Lead Project Manager has overall responsibility, authority, and accountability for successful execution of the projects allocated to them within the boundaries defined by the Company’s authority limits, or as delegated by the Project Sponsor.
The Lead Project Manager must manage the project and/or contract/sub-contracts in a safe and productive manner, and achieve project completion on time, to maximise the commercial return to the Company whilst maintaining good client relationships.
Main Accountabilities & Competencies
- Manage safety on the project, ensuring compliance with all legal and Company procedures, and promoting positive and pro-active attitude to working safely at all levels.
- Planning of works to ensure maximum efficiency and protection of the commercial position.
- Maximise productivity by clear direction and control of the project team and all resources.
- Manage safety and environmental implications of the project during engineering design.
- Working within the Company’s ISO9001 quality systems, ensuring all engineering and construction activities are supplied to meet the contract’s requirements, including all appropriate contract specifications.
- Ensure all project and test documentation is correctly produced and securely filed, being submitted to the client within contract timescales.
- Compile and issue all necessary cost and schedule progress reports in line with Company procedures and act in a timely manner to correct any issues likely to result in poorer outturn figures.
- Always maintain full awareness of the total commercial position of the project, ensuring delay/disruption and variation issues are managed in an appropriate and timely manner.
- Implement Company procedures, or any other instructions given by the Project Sponsor, ensuring that all controls are in place.
- Ensure the contract is scheduled in accordance with both the contract and client’s requirements; however, protection of the commercial position takes precedence over any schedule issues.
- Manage construction supervision, engineering, and labour force in such a manner that the contract is completed to the client’s satisfaction, and target profit margin is met or exceeded.
- Full adherence to all Company statutory financial controls and procedures, and any project specific procedures that may be required under the contract.
- Managing the project budget.
- Quality of the design and documentation relating to a project.
- Fiscal responsibility for managing engineering projects.
- Inform line manager of potential project risks identified in a timely manner.
- Work within allocated CTR or man hours.
- Demonstrate clear understating of commercial status of projects.
- Work to agreed project plan and/or help develop project milestones.
- Develops team objectives and agrees ways of collaborating with the team, consistent with the vision and goals of the project.
- Identifies opportunities for coaching/mentoring to address team members’ development needs, and ensures suitable arrangements are put in place.
- Provides regular and constructive feedback to teams and acknowledges individual contributions.
- Communicates regularly with the team and wider networks, delegating tasks, asking for support, and offering assistance where appropriate.
- Recognises signs of conflict and investigates impartially the causes of conflict.
- Clearly communicates and reinforces the vision, values and objectives of the project and its links to strategic objectives to team members and stakeholders.
- Sustains an environment that encourages high performance and empowers team members to reach their full potential.
- Uses appropriate leadership styles to gain and maintain the trust, confidence, commitment, and collaboration of others throughout the change initiative to ensure continued momentum.
- Encourages and facilitates open discussion in order that any difficulties or challenges are identified and addressed in a timely manner.
- Consistently models desirable behaviours to encourage similar behaviour from others.
- Understands the diverse types of contracts and can adopt the appropriate style of Project Management.
- Complies with relevant Company procedures, and legal and ethical requirements when managing contracts.
- Ensures that necessary actions are undertaken to comply with the terms of the contract.
- Monitors the performance of suppliers in terms of the quality, timeliness, and reliability of goods and/or services against agreed contractual obligations.
- Takes prompt action to resolve any problems in accordance with the terms of the contract, including negotiating and managing contract variances.
- Analyses options to deliver the defined requirements and makes recommendations.
- Documents the requirements and selected option for delivery for the project.
- Identifies what resources will be needed to conduct the activities and to deliver the events required by the project.
- Prepares a schedule for resource use, reconciling resource limits and time constraints by applying resource smoothing and/or levelling.
- Monitors resource use against the schedule during the project and identifies vacancies that require action.
- Refines as appropriate the schedule for resource use, implementing the change control process where relevant.
- Proactively obtains estimates for the costs of activities, events, and overheads.
- Can competently develop a cash flow forecast for the project.
- Monitors financial performance throughout the project.
- Ensures that all financial transactions are complete before the closure of the project and that final reports on financial performance are prepared for the relevant stakeholders.
- Identifies risks and issues associated with the project on an initial and ongoing basis.
- Assesses the probabilities and impacts of the risks and develops suitable response plans.
- Documents a quality management plan and establishes a quality register.
- Manages the process of quality control for a project to determine whether success criteria are met.
- Creates a consolidated plan to support overall management, taking account of previous lessons learnt.
- Refines the consolidated plan as appropriate, implementing the change control process where relevant.
- Provides stakeholders with clear, timely and relevant information in accordance with the communications plan.
- Able to visually and verbally present to internal and external audiences.
Achievement of Key Performance Indicators and Service Level Agreements, as set by your line manager from time-to-time.
- Satisfied clients, both internal and/or external.
- Timely completion of work.
- Quality of work.
- Adherence to relevant processes, procedures, and Policies.
- Team Spirit.
Commercial & Risk
- Inform project manager / line manager of potential risks identified in a timely manner.
- Work within allocated CTR or allocated hours where applicable.
- Demonstrate clear understating of relevant commercial and budgetary landscape.
- Work to agreed plans, using initiative to identify improvements/savings.
- Function as an ambassador for the Company, always presenting the right image to existing and potential clients.
- To attend meetings and forums, representing the Company.
- Forge links and establish communication with relevant colleagues and other stakeholders.
Health, Safety, Environment & Quality
- Inform line/project manager of potential project risks identified in a timely manner.
- Working within the Company’s ISO9001:2008 quality systems.
- Responsible for own safety at work.
- Consideration to be given to others in working environment.
- Adhere to Company and client health and safety procedures.
- Comply with – and work to – relevant procedures, policies, processes, and standards, to meet the required level of quality in all outputs.
- Zero non-conformances to all Company, client, and project specific quality and safety plans.
- Adherence to PPE requirements, where applicable.
- Keep up to date with latest industry and functional standards, technology, and norms.
- Be familiar with all relevant systems.
- A good understanding of the availability and use of all relevant electronic tools and software.
- Full awareness and understanding of relevant legislation and standards, and their practical application.
- Awareness and understanding of all relevant Company Policies, processes, and procedures.
- 25 days holiday + 8 stats = 33 days
Sick pay after 6 months service 2 weeks paid sick leave