Design Manager (Hybrid)
Design Manager (DM) Role:
Responsible for co-ordinating the design elements and interfaces of specific task or project dependent on size and complexity. This would include both pre-construction and construction phases of a project.
Fully understand and manage the design requirements of the tender/project ensuring that the design is delivered in line with the programme requirements and is of a quality that reflects the budget constraints.
Liaise with the tender or delivery teams for the development of design packages and procurement strategies.
A good communicator with the ability to be innovative and influence design solutions, including gaining knowledge of MMC.
- Ensure the design management procedure is being followed and implemented as appropriate on the projects. This would include production and maintenance of the DRM, design programme, RFI schedule, MIDP, (in conjunction with the CDE), IRS, statutory condition trackers, design change and risk trackers and design documentation required to achieve practical completion.
- Take ownership of design related items within the tender process or within the construction phase including production of written narrative/presentation material.
- Have input into the selection of the design team including the production of the design team appointments (consultant and subcontractor) if directly employed or split of responsibility if traditional including DRM, scope, MIDP, programme and fee.
- Understand and provide solution where possible, against the status of ‘strategic design’ items within the tender/construction documents and in line with company procedures including planning, building control/BCAR, third party requirements, brand requirements etc.
- Present key design aspects at the internal gateway meetings including summary statements on alternative design solutions considered, dismissed or accepted, summary of design consultants and team, technical challenges, design risk and opportunity, contingency allowances for design development, design Fees, overview of strategic design items and progress.
- Ensure the design recognises all aspects of health & safety, sustainability, and quality related matters.
- Liaise with the delivery team to ensure buildable and robust details with the agreement of the construction team.
- Work with the site team (incl. QS) to consider alternatives design solutions including MMC.
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree Level 6 in architecture, engineering, building services or related field + minimum 5 years’ experience.
- Desirable experience in CDE, BIM and any planning software.
- Desirable training and experience with sustainability accreditation and H&S.
- Experience of site/delivery, commercial and contract procedures..
- Understanding of building regulations/BCAR, planning permission and PSDP procedures.
- Good communication and presentation skills.
- Be able to use Microsoft Word/Excel/PowerPoint.
- Desirable HSE / Acute hospital experience